Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wk4 Reflection: Publishing_Leadership Project, Part 1 of 2


POST 4
Um…. Do I really have to do this one?

OK, in the spirit of Zanderism, let me analyze that impulse that says, “Push yourself, Deb!  Get outside your box!  Do a presentation!”

Why?  This entire year has been all about that.  And one thing I’ve learned is that people should learn new things, but they should also honor their own gifts.  And I’m a writer.  I think by writing.  I understand and get insights by writing.  What is, is.  The presentations and videos I’ve done that I really was proud of, well, what they started with was good writing.  I’m pretty sure it was a blog earlier this month in which I commented that my AR pitch, a work I’m pretty proud of, basically got written in the half-hour between my mammogram and a nail appointment—and then took another 40 hours to turn into a video.  Now, it was a great educational experience, and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world, but if somebody were paying for it, they should pay me for the writing and someone faster to do the visual!

So that voice is not, at this time, coming from an exuberant, adventurous place, but from the place that says, “Your gifts aren’t good enough!  Try harder!  You need to get better!”

Bite me.

So I’m going to stick with what I love, enjoy, and am good at.  Let’s do publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment