Saturday, May 14, 2011

Wk2 Reading: Possibility & the Art of Contributing



POST 1


As I begin writing, the dominating truth is Ben Zander’s playing of Chopin.  I started the video in a welter of not just tension and anxiety but resentment: “WhateverwhateverIjust don’tfreakinghave TIME forthis.”  There’s something about his playing that transcends any musical experience I’ve ever had before—as if Plato’s actuality of beauty had manifested itself through my ears into my brain.


That’s not good right now.  Several times during the reading of these chapters, I teared up—my physical response to truth—but I squelched the tears.  I don’t have to look at my thoughts to see the characteristics of the measurement mentality in my “operant powers”—tell me, when one quotes Shakespeare, is one required to cite?  Or doesn’t one rather leave hanging the assumption that, of course, one’s conversational partners will recognize the allusion?—one of my favorites being pretention.  Oh, there’s a maelstrom of well
edublogs.org
measured melancholy burbling under my surface, as I sit at the end of a challenging year, which is at the end of a grievously difficult decade.  And this blog would give me an opportunity to do another productive round of bleeding ink, symbolically speaking, or I can turn to a rather more intellectual analysis of my classroom and my students.

I don’t have time right now to bleed.  The kiddies it is.

I had an epiphany in Dr. Dan’s class that changed the way I look at the emergent adults in my classroom.  I can’t even remember why now (of course, I can’t remember if I ate lunch today), but I recognized that what these young people really wanted out of their education was not to get out of it, but to know that what they were doing was meaningful.  And that what they’re doing in school, well, they usually feel that that isn’t.  We were at this time wrapping up Pygmalion, and instead of giving them the usual literary analysis essay topic, I asked them to think about a problem they or a friend had that might have a solution in a lesson they learned from that play.

I’ve been teaching seniors for twenty years, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen them so engaged in my life.

So when Mr. Zander writes that “adolescents are looking for an arena in which to make an authentic contribution to the family and to the community,” and “how few meaningful roles are available for young people to fill” (p. 40), I saw an explanation for the present vacuous obsession with prom.  When we fail to give them anything productive to do, how can we be surprised when all that’s left to care about is “Me!  Me!  Me!!!”

On the other hand, “Me!  Me!  Me!!!” is a rut almost all of my students have been in for a long time.  And I don’t know where this “senioritis” garbage came from, but they are utterly unashamed of wallowing in it.  If I gave my students a guaranteed A, I have no doubt I’d never see a majority of them lift a finger again, except to text under their desks.

My students, you see, aren’t there because, like Mr. Zander’s students, they desire deeply to improve their performance, but because the state and their parents force them to be.  Does this mean they’re getting nothing of value in my classroom?  Oh no, no, no—you should see them, this week, shining eyes reflecting the black-and-white glow of Olivier’s Hamlet.  And I am really sure that’d be happening, grade or no.  But the other wonderful things they’re doing—the visual poem, the fascinating discussions?  They wouldn’t have those experiences if I didn’t reward them with points.

My grades aren’t competitive.  Plenty of points to go around—an unlimited supply.  Of course, I’m fond of saying “I don’t give points—you earn them.”  And I hope they earn them doing valuable work that teaches them not only how to express themselves effectively but who they are and what they are capable of.   I see them satisfied when they achieve something in a way that certainly transcends the reward/punishment system of points.  But without that carrot, I don’t see them giving themselves the opportunity to achieve the satisfaction.

At least, not this year.  As I reflect, though, on opening for my students a “Universe of Possibility,” I see that I have myself modeled that concept continually this year. I’m not only one of the “Old Farts” but had a well deserved reputation for being, while devoutly enthusiastic, hmm, let’s just say a bit of a stickler.  This year I have continually tried one new thing after another, flagrantly experimenting and making mistakes and trying something else.  I’ve boldly gone where no one (not at my school, anyway) has gone before. When I showed our principal the tweets we did in class watching Hamlet, he looked at me and grinned, “Who’da thought you’d be the one doing this, huh?”  I’ve demonstrated categorically that one is never too … too anything to learn new stuff, no, not even if one's first pet was a dinosaur.

8 comments:

  1. Debra,

    I know exactly where you are coming from. I picked up the Zander's book with same attitude and maybe worse. We are all stressed out right now, not only is it the end of our year long journey through EMDT, it is the end of our school year. It's a tough time of the year. Perhaps if I was an elementary teacher, I would be missing my kids already, but I'm not, I teach 9th grade Algebra 1. That alone was a huge mistake, but it's what my administration needed me to do. No one should spend their entire day with 9th graders doing the same thing.

    As I started reading the book, my attitude softened and there were points that I thought I might cry too. You are very right; Zander's students are far different than the students who come through our classes. All of his students choose to be there. The majority of my students are forced to be there and worse than that, they are not academically ready to be there, but the State of Florida gives them no other options. This creates undue stress on everyone involved. Something needs to change, but until then, we adapt the concepts to our students and try to find ways to draw outside the lines.

    As one of your critical friends for your AR project, I have watched you draw outside the lines in amazing ways this year. You have shown your students how to create their own possibilities and even more impressive, you have shown your administration a thing or two. You appear to have moved beyond survival thinking and into abundant thinking, willing to take risks and relinquish control. Sounds perfect to me. I give you an A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debra!
    What an eloquent posting –as usual- that really describes the emotional response that we as teachers have to this reading. I mean, the stories he tells and the student responses he gets are a dream to the innovative, deeply-caring, and productive instructor.

    I truly wish that I could be a student in your class or at least observe. Your style and intelligence, as well as positive attitude towards students, treating them as people not objects, is what I aspire to. I think it’s so wonderful that you recognized and responded to students’ strong need to feel meaning in their school activities. Don’t we feel the same way in our graduate program? I think that occasionally it is difficult for us as teachers to separate ourselves from our prepared content and reflect on how the students must feel as they see it for the first time. I have to constantly remind myself that not everyone is as passionate about seeing an artist work or discuss an artwork or complete a project as I would be. What I like about the Zanders is that they don’t necessarily tell us that students will respond perfectly every time, but it is our responsibility to give them the benefit of the doubt and provide every support we can. I thought it was interesting when he told the story of the apathetic violinist who had just given up because of a bad decision on his part about tempo. I compare that to my students and try to remember that just as they don’t know what I went through last night or in other classes, I don’t know what they have been through either.

    I know what you mean about the impeding shutdown of effort if we were to give students A’s. Heck, half my students don’t even care if they are failing let alone care to work with a free grade. Zander came up with an appropriate motivator with the letter, which I suppose gave him a basis for assessment on the true efforts given. However, I agree that his group is a LOT different than ours—more like a college class—which can handle way different levels of responsibility.

    I think that you have totally introduced the universe of possibility to your students this year…not just in activity design but in modeling your own experimentation. Great job taking risks and steaming ahead even when we meet the stone walls of our students’ immaturity downfalls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAC_Wk2 BP#2 Comments to Debra Atherton The Exuberant Mind

    Dear Debra,
    Another heart-felt writing of a person I have come to admire and respect. (Really, though, stop with the age jokes. I've stopped with the fat jokes because of this book!) When all is said and done, when classes are over, graduation has happened and you have time to reflect, who is it will you find, an old woman, with a pet dinosaur or a new woman, with a new outlook and a new willingness to explore for herself and with her next crop of students, the universe of possibilities.

    The Zanders have one advantage over us in that they, in working with adults, and usually from the sounds of it, have nearly free reign to interact with their students, can try these bold experiments and "give an A" quite literally. I will confess, I have tried it, in my heart and mind. Like the Zanders, I found it "fascinating." My students made the same mistakes, some had the same attitude, but I was different. I had an open mind and an open heart, and it changed the emotional course of the day. It's like being set free. Free from unrealistic expectations, free from discouragement, free from routine. When my students made mistakes, my patience level was high. I thought outside of the box, asked for help (which is something I almost never do) and made this huge headway with my special education students who are playing clarinet. They actually got through their songs for their concert next week! And they played better than the general education students. That's huge because it flies in the face of everything I've observed as a child. In those days, special education students were not even considered for band! They "couldn't academically handle it." Bah, humbug!

    I rant, and shouldn't. The point is, change, the kind that the Zanders are speaking of, takes time and PRACTICE! But if after only one or 2 days of trying, it has produced these results in us, isn't it worth it, for both our and our students' sakes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb
    You are such an eloquent writer!! I am enjoying your blog tremendously (and your friendship even more!!)
    Who ever dreamed that this masters program would yield not only amazing knowledge and skills but also unbelievable connections and relationships that transcend time zones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU would, Kathy! At least, that's what IIII heard, when I heard your interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I had to read this several times before writing my comment. Your writing actually reminds me somewhat of the text we have been reading and straight away Dame Judy Dench’s voice became my in-mind narrator. Was that English you teach?
    It sounds as though you have had so many experiences and, even though you think you are an “old fart”, I’m pleased to see you have embraced a positive stand throughout this course. (Maybe it’s time for your book of experiences. If you ever publish it I’ll be the first to buy it (online as an e-book of course).)
    I have to admit also to tears as I read (and watched) Mr. Zander. If only the students I’d taught over the years were so engaged and open. Maybe they were and I was the one getting in the way on my journey to fulfill the principal’s, parent’s and the state’s expectations of me. I took the Michelangelo statement, from the book, to heart and tried to view each of the students that came my way this week as that piece of potential with endless possibilities. I even shared the Art of Possibility with a colleague who went and bought it. I have to admit though it was a tough road. Being a substitute this year makes it hard to connect personally with the students but I managed a day with the mantra of “you are potential and we need to scrape away the things that are stopping you from getting there” buzzing through my brain.
    I too find it hard to see the instant “A” thing working but it sounds as though you give them plenty of options to gain in non-stressful settings. I have to admit that I still hear the voice of a previous principal saying “don’t teach anything that isn’t graded or part of the curriculum.” Strangely enough, every student out there lives two thirds of their life not on the curriculum. It’s funny how us teachers seem to live the opposite of that.
    So thanks for your epistle; it gives this old fart in training some hope to see, if I get my own class next year, that I can make a difference by opening up my students to a world of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting points. Prom, me, senioritis mystery, carrot points. Tried, tried, tried, failed, failed. Tweets. Creative change. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post Debra - So insightful.

    I appreciate the point you raised here: "I see them satisfied when they achieve something in a way that certainly transcends the reward/punishment system of points. But without that carrot, I don’t see them giving themselves the opportunity to achieve the satisfaction."

    Just giving an A isn't always an option (for any number of reasons) yet it's still positive and productive to have such an awareness of your student's potential! I can easily see that you do. I think it quite deserving of respect and awe when one finds a way to give an A even when they're technically not supposed too. And that A doesn't have to be a grade, but an acknowledgment between student and teacher of all that could be.

    ReplyDelete