Monday, October 18, 2010

PE2_Growing_in_iMovie



I remember not that long ago having to watch the help video for iMovie every time I did one.  Practice isn't making perfect, but it's making faster, easier, and cooler.  The title slides are much more amazing than I had thought--you don't just stick them on an official slide at the beginning and end; they can pop up anywhere, and in different colors & fonts.  And the transitions make a simple compilation of class videos into something that looks really special (I'm particularly fond of using the "water" title slide with the "ripples" transition).  The rationale behind that isn't just that such effects are cool.  The key word is "special."  To have my students doing work and publishing it in a way that makes them feel special seems to me to be a far cry from having them write essays that make them feel stupid.  And I believe--wow, another great research topic, if only I had time--that when their work is published in a way that makes them feel special, that will transfer over into their more traditional assignments and provide the impetus for connecting with their academic work and striving to achieve in ways they hadn't thought possible before.

That's my theory, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment